Frequently Asked Questions
About the comparison service
The comprehensive electricity comparison is a free service that provides a ranking of every publicly listed plan, making it easy to compare electricity prices and switch retailers to save you money.
First, tell us about your energy use. Enter your postcode and usage details. The more you tell us about your energy use, the more tailored the results provided to you. Ideally, have a bill to hand. If not, we can help you estimate.
Then compare the plans. Review the easy to understand price ranking to see how much you can save. Our comprehensive comparison includes all retailers publicly available residential plans. It’s easy to compare savings against your current plan.
When you’re ready, switch and save. Select the plan that’s right for you. If that’s one from our partner retailers, we’ll help you to sign-up direct with the retailer. You’re on the way to a better deal.
There are big savings from switching electricity according to the Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC). How much you can save depends on your current plan and your specific energy use.
The AEMC reported in June 2018 the saving available for the ‘average’ consumer who switched from the median standing offer to the cheapest market offer.
In South Australia switching electricity could save $832.
In Victoria switching electricity could save $574-$652.
In South East Queensland switching electricity could save $504.
In NSW switching electricity could save $365-$411.
In the ACT switching electricity could save $273.
WATTever’s comprehensive comparison makes it easy to find the cheapest publicly-listed electricity offers.
Using WATTever won’t cost you a cent, and could save you hundreds of dollars. There is no mark up on any plans displayed on the website. WATTever uses the retailers plan pricing in all comparisons.
Industry regulation requires retailers to publish their current plans on their websites. The WATTever team collect the latest publicly listed plans and constantly check for price updates. Our comparison engine includes over 4,000 current plans.
The Add Solar feature uses the average estimated daily solar generation for the capital city in your state based on the PVWatts calculator. This number varies between 3.4-4.5kWh per day for each 1kW of solar panels (across Australian capital cities). This estimated output assumes no shading, north facing roof, 20′ roof pitch and 14% system losses (these are the default PVWatts assumptions).
We then multiply that daily solar generation estimate by the size of the additional solar selected and multiply that by the solar self-consumption to determine the reduction in your electricity usage (grid import). That reduced usage total (in kWh) is then multiplied by each plan’s electricity usage rates to determine the reduced usage charges. If GreenPower is added, the GreenPower cost will also reduce as it is based on the new, lower electricity usage. On the solar export side, the amount of solar that you don’t consume is multiplied by the solar feed-in tariff to determine the total solar feed-in. Supply charges are unchanged by adding solar. Where the combination of additional solar and self-consumption exceeds current electricity usage, no further savings on usage charges can be made and usage charges will be reduced to zero. In this case, to better reflect reality, the solar self-consumption input “slider” should be set to effect a low usage charge of ~$2 per day to reflect that without energy storage (eg. batteries) it is not feasible to eliminate all usage charges with solar (night time and cloudy days).
Note: where Time Of Use rates apply we split the reduction in usage from solar self-consumption as follows: – Two Rate (5 day) Time Of Use – 60% peak and 40% off-peak usage – Three Rate Time Of Use (aka Flexible) – 40% peak and 60% shoulder
- Usage and supply rates shown for each plan include the maximum available discounts eg. pay on time, direct, debit, e-billing, upfront discounts.
- In relation to Upfront discounts (e.g. $50 bill credit off first bill), where we show an annual cost these discounts are included in full. Where we show a plan cost for another time period e.g. 91 days, to allow comparison with your existing bill, these upfront discount are excluded.
- The usage and supply rates in the Energy Price Fact Sheets may differ to those shown on the plan details page as the plan details page applies discounts and GST in order to standardise the amounts and improve comparability.
- Connection/disconnection fees are not included where applicable.
- Exit fees from current plans are not included in the ranked plan cost (but are shown in the plan details).
- All dollar amounts shown include GST where applicable. Note there is no GST on feed in tariffs.
- Retailer feed in tariffs are used unless you indicate that you are eligible for solar bonus scheme tariffs.
- Any costs to switch between Anytime and Time Of Use tariffs and vice versa are not included.
- Where WATTever offers a payment of cash or kind (e.g. gift card) when signing up through WATTever to a partner retailer, we include that amount as an upfront credit in the comparison results and reduce the total 1 and 3 year costs of that plan by the amount of that payment.
- As prices can be varied on most plans by the retailer (with a short notice period) and are usually updated in July and January of each year the actual rates paid after switching to a new plan may change, particularly in July when rates are adjusted for revised network tariffs. The process for plan price changes for each plan is detailed in the Energy Price Fact Sheets.
- Costs are estimated based on entered/past usage which may differ in the future effecting the actual cost.
- Combination plans that require you to purchase gas from the retailer as well as electricity are excluded. It may be possible that combined gas and electricity plans offer a less expensive electricity deal than the cheapest electricity only plans, however our experience is that this is rarely the case.
About our website
WATTever is an independent Australian family business. WATTever is not owned by any energy industry participants or retailers. This enables us to be impartial.
- Diamond Energy,
- Energy Locals and
- ReAmped Energy
WATTever list all publicly available plans from all retailers in all states and territories of Australia. Plans are ranked irrespective of whether the plan is offered by a partner retailer or not. This ensures you receive an impartial, whole of market view.
Our free comparison service is just that. The most important point to note is that we don’t make money at your expense. Some retailers provide WATTever a referral fee but this never changes the price you pay. Plans are always ranked in price order. Please support our service by switching through our signup links and call back facility. This keeps us in business, so we can keep providing you with the full information you need to find cheaper electricity next time. Thanks!
About Deal Tracker
Deal Tracker covers the states and territories of ACT, NSW, SA, SE QLD & VIC where electricity pricing is deregulated and customers have a choice of retailer. Deal Tracker monitors every retailer and includes over 4,000 publicly-listed plans for households and business published as the Price Fact Sheets on Retailers websites.
To be upfront, we don’t cover private offers, exclusive or limited plans – there is no way to reliably monitor this. We also don’t cover combined gas and electricity plans.
Yes, you can view how your tracked plan compares. Simply log in to WATTever, select the Deal Tracker menu item and click ‘Go to the Plans’ to see a current market ranking. But you won’t need to because we’ll in touch when we find a better offer.
You’ll receive an alert only when there’s a deal that meets your savings threshold – no more than one email a month. You will also receive a quarterly electricity checkup showing a summary of where you plan is ranking and the estimated saving to the cheapest plan in the market. This provides peace of mind that you’re in a good place.
The subscription for Home includes one location.
Yes. You tell us the level of savings you want to be notified about. We track your plan against the market and will alert you when we find a plan that offers the estimated annual savings level you selected.
Deal Tracker is a market information service showing you what’s out there. Finding cheaper plans depends on how competitive your plan is and what might happen in the market. Deal Tracker will give you the confidence that you’re not overpaying plus save you from constantly checking the market or evaluating offers that don’t stack up. If we find that cheaper publicly-listed plans are available, we’ll let you know. For existing Deal Tracker Business or Business Plus paid subscriptions (before August 2019) we’re that confident we’ll find a you a better deal that we guarantee we’ll provide alerts or updates during the year notifying your business of an opportunity to save at least triple the value of your Deal Tracker fee, or you can ask for your money back.
Some people will be on legacy plans that are no longer offered or have different rates from published Price Fact Sheets that are currently available. If your plan has the same base rates but different usage or supply discounts you can apply a discount override to more effectively track your current plan. You will need to update the tracked plan if your discount rates change, such as at the end of the benefit period. Alternately, you can select a current retailer plan that’s the closest match with your plan, and we then use this as the basis of ongoing market comparisons. Deal Tracker only tracks and compares against current publicly-listed plans published as Price Fact Sheets on Retailers websites.
No. Deal Tracker only covers residential plans from September 2019.
Currently, WATTever receives a referral fee if you choose to switch with Diamond Energy, Dodo, Energy Locals or ReAmped Energy through our site. We rank plans strictly by cost and show you a complete ranking for all comparisons. You choose when and with whom to switch. If you are a paid Deal Tracker subscriber and you choose to switch to a partner retailer where we earn a commission we will refund your Deal Tracker fee in full. We are not able to supply the Deal Tracker service to you after this time – but you are free to use our comparison whenever you like.
While we compare all retailers in Deal Tracker, we do not enable tracking of plans from our partner retailers – currently Energy Locals and Diamond Energy. Customers are welcome to use our comparison service to check their plans. We believe this strikes a fair balance between supporting partners and our users.
After 12 months, we will contact Deal Tracker Home subscribers about their renewal options.
Sure. Whenever you like.